It is very common for business owners to receive an out-of-the-blue approach by a potential acquirer or large trade competitor. If this happened to you, would you know if you would receive full value, or even if the bid was competitive? Is there a party who might pay you more?
Most people believe that they're good negotiators, an area where they don't need help. Preconceptions, ego, mixed agendas, prior experience, tunnel vision - there's a lot of hurdles to overcome if you're going to reach an agreement with your buyer. As it's your business, perhaps you're too close to the deal to be objective? What if you miss a few key points?
Typical issues we help clients with (not exhaustive):
- What's the best way to respond to an offer?
- How do you know if the offer is genuine?
- How do you avoid negotiating against yourself?
- How do you know if their last offer is their last offer?
- In the heat of negotiation, will you keep control, or get intimidated?
- Do you conduct a negotiation in person, writing or over the phone?
- Is there a plan. Are you and the buyer even considering the same points?
- "There's a better opportunity". What is your next move?
Wouldn't it be good if you had someone to talk to, someone with experience who could offer you sensible advice based on your circumstances and best interests? Wouldn't it be good if that same person also had the skills and market knowledge to help improve the terms of any offer?
If you need to quickly determine that an approach is a good one you will most definitely be interested in our 'Negotiation Only' service.
With a combined 40 years experience of successfully advising owners, shareholders and investment groups on selling their businesses we have been responsible for sales of companies worth millions of pounds. We can help you too.
For a discrete conversation about your situation and what opportunities are available to you, please get in touch with us we will do all we can to help.
Use the form on this page, or call 0845 644 0266 or +44 (0)1225 460777.
Help and advice is just a phone call away.